As teens, we not only want to look great for our school photos, but we also want to look our best all school year long. During the summer, it’s easy to fall into a routine of forgetting to remove makeup before bedtime, failing to use moisturizer, and just not having an overall skincare routine. After all, we’re more focused on having the best summer possible while enjoying our freedom from school. But now that school is starting again, it’s time to get back into the groove of good skincare. Here are some ways to start the new school year with a fresh face.
- Clean your face at least twice a day. A great way to prevent breakouts is by using an acne wash for your face, but you can increase your chances of having clear skin by using it at least twice a day. Use in the morning, then again at night before bedtime. This will improve the skin’s texture, tone, and clarity. If you don’t have time to clean your face in the morning, you can double cleanse at nighttime. First, use an oil-based cleanser, which will remove surface oils, makeup, sunscreen, etc. Then apply a gentle gel or cream cleanser. The oil cleanser will get rid of surface grime and the gel or cream cleanser will clean the pores.
- Exfoliate once or twice a week. There are many different options for exfoliation, such as peels, masks, and scrubs. Find one that won’t over-dry the skin, but one that makes the skin smooth and bright.
- Stay hydrated. This is important especially on days that are hotter and more humid than others. By the time summer ends, our skin is most likely dehydrated and looks dull, tired, and clogged. Find a hydrating mask or mist and apply it as needed.
- Use serums instead of creams. There are many lightweight serums available that add hydration without weighing down the skin as cream would. Many serums offer more than just hydration, as other benefits may prevent redness, breakouts, and/or uneven skin tone. Serums can be layered with hydrating mists and/or 2-3 drops of facial oil.
- Drink water. Remember when we said to stay hydrated? We aren’t just talking about the skin’s surface. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day will help keep the skin looking healthy and clear.